In this tutorial we are going to create a fantasy scene where a witchy women will be holding a sacred log in her hands. With this tutorial we are going to cover interesting topics like working with textures and blending modes, lighting, advanced image cutting techniques, and typography.
Preview of Final Results
Eerie Portrait Photo Manipulation Photoshop Tutorial
- Model – Flex-Flex
- Wall Texture – fudgegraphics
- Retro Wallpaper – Texturepack
- Forest – silaynnestock
- Cracks 1 – Jaydias
- Cracks 2 – sd-stock
- Fountain – phatpuppy
- Dead Tree – wicasa-stock
- Dead Tree 2 – diesel-stock
- Log – sxc.hu
- Stonage Art Brush – qbrushes
- Font – ffonts
- Snake – madetobeunique
- Dead Tree 3 – sxc.hu
Create a new canvas in Photoshop with the dimensions Width=2489px and Height=3872.
1) Now import the image of the Model into Photoshop and create a mask around the body using the Pen Tool (P). While masking the hair create a rough mask because we will be using different technique to cut the hair with details.
2) Create a rough mask as shown around the hair and open the Refine Edge from Select>Refine Edge and set the output to New Layer and select the Refine Radius Tool and paint the edges of the hair to detect the fine details of the hair.
Then press OK to separate the model into a new layer with fine details.
1) Import the image of Wall Texture onto the canvas and place it on the background and add a Gaussian Blur of Radius=1.6px.
2) Now import the image of the Retro Wallpaper in the background and reduce its Opacity to 74%.
In this step we will be adding a forest backdrop to the background.
- Import the image of the Forest onto the background.
2) Now convert the forest image into black and white using Image>Adjustments>Black & White.
3) Now change the Blending Mode of the forest layer to Overlay and reduce its opacity to 35%.
In this step we will be creating cracks in the background using textures.
- Import the image of the Cracks 1 onto the background and place it as shown.
2) Now set the Blending Mode of the layer to Overlay.
3) Now reduce the brightness of the cracks layer to -38 using Brightness/Contrast.
-Then similarly add few more cracks in the background to make the background look old.
In this step we will be color correcting the model to blend the model in the scene.
- With the model layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Curves and set the curves as shown.
2) Now darken the shadows of the model using the Exposure. With the model layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Exposure and set the Offset=-0.0102 and Gamma Correction=0.90.
3) Now by using the Hue/Saturation de-saturate the model to -30.
In this step we will be creating an adjustment layer of Brightness/Contrast to blend the scene together with even color correction.
-Select Brightness/Contrast from the Adjustment Layers dropdown list at the bottom of the layers pallet, then set the Brightness of the layer to -45.
As we can see the edges of the hair is lacking sharp details, hence to achieve the desired effect select the Burn Tool (O) and paint the edges of the hair to get the sharp details of hair.
: In this step we are going to create a fountain tub under the women.
- Mask out the Fountain into a new layer using the Pen Tool(P).
2) Now import it onto the working canvas and place it under the model as shown.
3) Now color correct the fountain using the Curves.
As we can observe that the light is being focused from the top left, we need to create shadow to the fountain tub to match it with the scene’s lighting.
-Now select the mask in shape of the fountain tub and create a new layer above the fountain layer and paint some shadow as shown using the Brush Tool (B).
In order to illustrate the gap between the background the model we need to create the shadow of the model casting on the background.
- Duplicate the model image and convert it into a silhouette using the Levels.
2) Now place the shadow layer under the original model layer and move it slightly towards the right as shown.
3) Since there is some distance between the model and background the shadow doesn’t appear sharp hence lower the Opacity of the shadow layer to 70% and add a Gaussian Blur of Radius=22.2px.
In this step we are going to clean the texture of the glove’s cloth material and make it smooth.
- Select a mask in the shape of the gloves as shown using the Pen Tool (P) and separate the selection into a new layer.
2) With the gloves layer selected go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and add a Gaussian Blur of Radius 5.5px.
3) Now by using the Hue/Saturation de-saturate the gloves layer to -14.
In this step we are going to use another advanced cutting technique to separate the tree from its background without loosing any details.