Learn how to create this theme about “Nature’s Last Stand” by Santhosh Koneru. This tutorial will show you a combination of Matte Painting and Surreal Photo-Manipulation techniques.
Preview of Final Results
Angel Torch Photoshop Tutorial
- Woman – Jagged-eye
- Bonsai – aurochstock
- Gnarled Log – Jocarra
- BG – night-fate
- Dead Tree 1 – jiko-stock
- Deforestation – sxc.hu
- Tombstone – williams34
- Fog Brush – zoozee
- Dead Tree 2 – rensstocknstuff
- Fire 1 – sidestreet-stock
- Roaring bonfire – sxc.hu
- Feathers – falln-stock
- Wings – vampyriccadencestock
- Crow – fairiegoodmother
- Decoration – pink-stock
- Grunge Texture – amptone-stock
- Lighting Brush – scully7491
Create a new canvas with the dimensions Width=1859px and Height=3860.
Import the image of the Woman on to the canvas and create a mask around her body. Select the mask around the hair very roughly as shown. Then separate the selection into a new layer.
In this step we are going to us the Refine Edge Tool to mask out the hair of the women with every detail.
- Select the mask around the woman as shown using the Magic Wand Tool (W).
2) Now select the Refine Edge from Select>Refine Edge and select the On Black (B) from the View drop down list for a better view of the edge details.
3) Now by using the Refine Radius Tool graze the edges of the hair and select New Layer from the drop down list of ‘Output To’ and press OK to see the magic of the tool.
In this step we are going to color correct the image of the women.
- With the women layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Curves and set the Red and Blue curves as shown.
2) Now by using the Hue/Saturation De-Saturate the image to -31.
3) To enhance the dark shadows on the women go to Image>Adjustments>Exposure and set the Exposure=-0.19 and Gamma Correction=0.86.
In this step we are going to create a tree bark in such a way to illustrate the women evolving from it.
- Import the image of the Bonsai Bark and mask out the bark into a new layer using the Lasso Tool (L).
2) Now import the bark on to the working canvas and place it on the legs of the women as shown. Then erase the top end of the bark with Soft Round Brush.
3) Similarly import the bark again and complete the bark as shown.
Since the woman is evolving from the bark we must show the semi evolution effect at the point of evolution.
-Create the shadow line of the leg on to the bark as shown. This creates an illusion of the fold on the bark that is caused during the evolution of the women.
Now we need to color correct the bark in-order to blend with the women.
1) Merge the entire bark layer and go to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation and de-saturate the image to -58.
2) Nowby using the Exposure Set Exposure=-0.08 and Gamma correction=0.78 to enhance the shadows on the bark.
Fantasy scenes are never without a mystical object in the hands of the main character, hence in this step we are going to create a uniquely looking fire torch in the left hand of the women.
1) Erase the small knife that the woman is originally holding using the Eraser Tool (E).
2) Now import the image of the Gnarled Log onto the working canvas and place it in the position as shown.
3) Now erase the portion of the log to make the fingers visible, which makes the log look like it is held in the hands of the women.
4) With the log layer selected go to Image>Adjustments>Exposure and set the Exposure to -0.19 and Gamma Correction to 0.49.
Import the image of the BackGround on to the working canvas and place it as shown.
In any photo-manipulation or matte painting works lighting plays an important role in making the scene look more convincing in all natural aspects. Hence in this scene we assume that the light source is on the right side of the scene.
-Using the Soft Round Brush (B) paint the dark shadow on the left side of the women and the bark as shown.
As we said in the intro that the nature is holding it’s last light of hope from dying, we need to add few dead branches in the scene to create the dry feel in the scene. In this step we are going to cut the dead tree from its image and place it in our scene.
1) Import the image of the Dead Tree 1 and select the Blue Channel from the ‘Channels’ pallet. The go to Image>Calculations and select the Blue channel from the channel drop down list.Â
2) Now by using the Levels make the image into a complete silhouette.
3) Select the main image and go to Select>Load Selection and select the Alpha 1 from the Channel Drop down list and press OK to select the mask around the dead tree.
4) Now separate the selection into a new layer.
5) Now import the dead tree branches on to the working canvas and place them near the base of the bark as shown.
In this step we are going to add wings to the woman.
1) Import the image of the Wings into the scene and place them on the back of the woman as shown.